Full-time • Remote or in-person (Orlando, FL)
About the Role
Envy Labs is looking for a Software Developer to join its team of strategists, designers, and developers in building (really good) digital products. You’ll work side-by-side with startups and innovative teams to tackle unique features, test innovation, and create applications that are quality from front to back(-end).
Given a choice, you like being closer to the problem than the solution. Toss you an objective, and you’re ready to work out the best way to move forward. Your favorite projects include pairing closely with a client, learning about their domain, and advocating for the right options.
- You’re comfortable in the unknown, and well-practiced in saying “I’m not sure, but I’ll get back to you.”
- You’re a fan of long stretches of uninterrupted time to focus, but know when to reach out and add some opinions to the mix.
- You know that today’s best practices won’t stick around forever, and actively look for opportunities to grow professionally.
- Whether you’re doing it already or not, contributing back to the development community through writing, speaking, or open source sounds pretty good.
- You have opinions, but they’re loosely held: You’re not afraid to pick favorites, but you’re always willing to consider new information.
- Above all, value to the client drives your technical decisions. You’re well aware that impact doesn’t happen in a vacuum.
- Maybe you’d like to eventually manage people, maybe you’d like similar benefits as an expert developer — either way, you want to master the craft.
- Experience communicating directly with stakeholders.
- Solid handle on test-driven development.
- Comfortable with version control, GitHub, and the idea of collaborative software.
- There’s a short distance between good developers and a new language, but you’ve worked extensively with Ruby, Node, Elixir, or Go on the back-end.
- Passionate about working alongside designers and front-end developers to deliver thoughtful user experiences.
- Able to break requirements down into requisite tasks and estimate (as well as anyone really can) effort.
Bonus Points or Places to Grow
- Experience with React Native or other avenues of native mobile development.
- Comfort with DevOps, server configuration, and automation platforms like Terraform or Ansible.
- Willing to share experience and insights through things like writing and speaking.
- Able to function as a temporary CTO and guide clients through a long-term vision for their technology.
About Envy Labs
Envy Labs is 12 years young, and was described best by a client: “You make complex ideas accessible.” We got our start in the tourism (and humidity) hub of Orlando, FL and most of us still call downtown home. A few folks have escaped to places with seasons, spreading to the remote reaches of Seattle, Chattanooga, and Cleveland.
Envy’s worked with startups and organizations all over the Fortune lists alike. In all cases, we’re working closely with clients to turn custom needs into custom applications.
All of us aim to do good work at a measured pace. After more than a decade, we’re not seeking rapid growth or any sort of exit — our goal is to be the right size to deliver right-fit software.
- Competitive, equitable salary. This role starts in the $80,000–$120,000 range, commensurate with experience
- Take your pick: Remote, hybrid, or in-person
- Company-supplied medical, dental, and vision
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Extremely flexible hours
- Simple IRA with company match
- Time and opportunities for professional growth
- Laptop stipend
- Profit sharing
Software, consulting, and everyday life rely on diversity. Envy Labs is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States.
How to Apply
- We’d love to see samples of your work. Link to your portfolio, GitHub, or wherever else you reside online.
- Some kind of cover letter. Going full Dear Hiring Manager isn’t necessary, but we’d love a brief intro and to know what caught your eye.
- To make sure you actually read this far — I mean, you did, but you’d be surprised how many don’t — what’s your favorite breakfast food?
All set? Send an email over to email@example.com.
Inquiries by agencies and recruiters will not be considered at this time.